Friday, April 9, 2010

The phoenix

When I first arrived in Mexico in 2007, countless people told me that Chapo was a non-story; his time has passed, they said. He's no one. He's a symbol, officials said. He's washed up, said others. He doesn't even control Sinaloa, added some so-called experts.

I was convinced they were wrong; I don't know why, it was just a gut feeling. I'd heard a lot about his ability to bounce back, make the right deals, wage the right wars, etc. I figured he'd stay on the radar in some way. The more I learned about Sinaloa, Chapo's history, the drug war, the more I realized that I would be right.

It seems Chapo has now taken control of Ciudad Juarez. (See excellent AP story; link is in title.)

So much for being washed up. Maybe with all the current disarray in Tamaulipas, he'll finally finish off the remnants of the Gulf cartel and finish that war, which he started in 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment