Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Garcia Luna gets a mention...


The DEA and State Dept. love to celebrate big narco-busts with high-fiving 'mission accomplished' statements, thanking the "Government of Mexico" (why is government always capitalized? internally, they abbreviate it GOM, it's just odd) for unprecedented cooperation.

Today was no exception, following the capture of El Teo. What did strike me as different, however, was Ambassador Carlos Pascual's statement, which mentions federal Police Chief Genaro Garcia Luna by name, congratulating him.

I've rarely seen Garcia Luna publicly acknowldeged before; I have however heard/read DEA higher-ups publicly express their "concern" over allegations that he has been linked to the Beltran Leyva brothers.

I don't have time to research whether he has indeed been mentioned and I just missed it, and I have no qualms about throwing out some speculative BS, so... Could it be that since the fall of the top Beltran Leyva brothers, the US doesn't have to worry about Garcia Luna suddently being exposed as corrupt anymore, and can call him an ally?

Ah, the list of questions to ask Garcia Luna when I finally get an interview with him grows and grows... While the actual chances of getting an interview with him shrink and shrink...

No comments:

Post a Comment